Wednesday 8 May 2013

3 Weeks in Majorca


When my racing hero and sprinting guru Dave Le Grys asked me if I would like to join his crew of group leaders for his 2013 training camp I didn’t need much convincing. Spending the best part of April in Majorca with a group of cyclists didn’t seem like a bad idea to me!
Being a sun worshipper I was most dissatisfied with the lack of tanning opportunities in the UK and when it was still snowing in March I packed my bags and headed for the heat.

To add to what was already shaping up to be a great trip, Alex Dowsett decided to base his Giro d’Italia training in Port Pollenca so we had the pleasure of his company for the first two weeks. Now I’m not going to lie, it’s not like a stood a remote chance of holding him up a hill effort in the mountains but he was generous in giving me some tips on the bike and in return I helped him pool-side in working on an even tan. Now he’s spent a few days in Italy, he’s ruined the whole regime and is back to being tan-line-tastic.


Joking aside it was fantastic to be in the presence of such talent and my group were delighted when Alex came and rode with the group on his rest day, dishing out some gold advice. It’s been fantastic to see him mixing it in the GC in his first Grand Tour and wearing the White, young rider's jersey on day three.



Riding for so many days solid seemed surprisingly easy out on the warm roads of Majorca and the holiday destination really is second to none when it comes to training. I’m back to reality now, but happily the weather has improved and the race season is underway, so lots of opportunities to keep the legs turning.


Last but not least I have to say a big thank you to all of our sponsors for kitting me out for the trip, I even had tourists taking photographs of my bike and kit. I wondered if they’d mistaken me for someone famous, but a friend pointed out they were more interested in the Amira than me! Big thanks to Mule Bar, Sigma Sport, Specialized, Ananichoola, Saddleback, Madison, SockGuy, Knog and Willdo. 

Rebecca xxx

http://www.legrostrainingcamp.com

No comments:

Post a Comment