Thursday 3 May 2012

Cheshire Classic


Last weekend was the first of the Women’s national road race series in Cheshire. Everyone had Sarah Storey down as favourite for the win from the start and she didn’t disappoint, but it was Natalie that rode away from the bunch and made the gap happen! When I saw them go up the road I thought to myself that that might be the last we would see of them but after a few very fast laps Natalie was back in the bunch with me and pushing the pace up again! I was busy trying to hold my place near the front of the group, thinking what Lou would be yelling at me if she was there, and stay out of the wind, but with 2 laps to go Natalie found me and we started moving up. For the whole of the last lap I was glued to her wheel with teeth gritted and elbows out but was still there after a furious lap with Natalie holding the whole bunch off! We came into the last corner first and second wheel and had briefly discussed a lead out before the race, if we were both still there at the end, so as the hill started to ramp up I was thinking about making my move and slightly to the left of the road, when Corrinne Hall lead the attack on the right and I managed to box myself in! I eventually came to my senses after faffing about wondering what to do and went after them but, uphill into the wind I soon found my legs starting to crumble and the line seemed not to be getting any closer! I managed to cross the line in 14th place, so one better than Twickenham, but really enjoyed it. Having such an experienced rider with me, I’ve learnt so much this last month and hopefully will start putting some of it into action soon!


love Sarah xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment